Tuesday 29 August 2017

All Alone, I'm so All Alone

Often the first thing that people ask me when they hear that I am about to embark on this trek is whether I am going alone.  Usually, though not always, people seem surprised that I will be "going it alone".  The thing is, while I may be leaving on my own (Dan has promised faithfully that he will accompany me as far as the Moncton Airport), I will not be walking alone.   As I have mentioned before the Camino de Santiago does not actually meet the definition of "call of the wild"  and  to be honest,  one of the things that drew me to it is the social aspect:  The chance to meet and talk to people all along the way.  

Over 200,000 people make this journey to Santiago over various routes and I will hardly be by myself:  There will always be someone ahead of me and someone coming up behind, particularly on the Camino Frances,  as it is the most popular route. Granted, some people go in groups, but a lot don't.  And even if you do go with someone its not a guarantee that your walking will be "in sync" so to speak: one may be faster than the other, and either having to speed up or slow down as the case may be doesn't make anyone happy.  

Not to mention the fact that there will be days that I will want to walk in silence and introspection, and others I will be more social,  and the Camino has room for both.  Then there is that once in the alburgue, it is an exercise in communal living and privacy will be a minimum.  Did I mention that the dormitories do not separate the genders?  Unless you want to spend the extra money and stay in a "casa rurale" (b&b) or spring for a hotel room that's the way it is.  Which reminds me, another necessity is ear plugs, apparently snoring can be a huge issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment