Sunday 27 November 2022

Day 7 - Good Night Vienna

Vienna: City of Straus waltzes, the seat of the Habsburg Empire (where inbreeding was a dynastic obligation); the beginnings of Cafe Culture, where great artists and philosophers gathered to discuss great thoughts and ideas over the myriad types of Viennese coffee and Viennese pastries. And, where I  had the privilege of tripping over a cable cover, hitting my chin on the ground  receiving a colorful bruise thereon.  But that will come later.

We saw the Schonbron Palace, home of The Leppezaner Stallions, and the Spanish Riding School.
Vienna is a glorious city.  The first picture is that of the "plague pillar" built to give thanks that the Black Death did not carry off to many people on that particular  round.  We started making the rounds of the many Christmas markets that are blossoming throughout the city.   Steve M says  that these are selections of the most useless things ever.  I  view them as treasure troves of handcrafted items: glass ornaments,  hand knitted items, intricate wood carvings, gingerbread, candies, nuts, chocolates, mulled wine, sausages. 

And The Lions had a presence, selling hot wine.  

It was here that, when rushing back to the meeting place for the bus back to the good ship Skadi, that I tripped over a cable cover with my short legs.  My chin came in contact with the cobblestones and later on blossomed into a glorious multicoloured bruise, but other than that, I am none the worse for wear.  If you glance quickly at it, it looks like I am sprouting an interesting goatee.  And I  get some interesting looks, upon which I say "you should see the other guy".

No comments:

Post a Comment