Sunday 17 September 2017

On the road to Roncevalles

Yesterday, I  arrived in St Jean Pied de Port  and on the train I met Alan from Melbourne who is taking a pilgrimage where you don't have to carry your back pack and stay in hotels.  He is one of member of the Camino Forum that I also use.
The Gite I stayed in was very basic : one toilet for the whole place and I shared a room with 9 other people.  Fortunately, there was not aloud snorer in the lot.
I  went for dinner at The Cafe du Pais, and stuck up conversation with two gentlemen at the next table so I  didn't have to eat alone.  I had a chicken, mushroom and pasta dishes and a green salad with a glass of wine.
The big realization yesterday was that I was really there and that tomorrow I really had to walk 25 km with an 8 kg pack on my back.  I went through my pack and managed to jettison 2 kg.  It's more manageable now,  but still heavier than I like,  so made arrangements to have it transported.
Time to get some sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment