Sunday 8 October 2017

Here in Hontanas - All things considered



October 7, 2017
Here in Hontanas
It was about 19 km across the meseta today and I am here in the Albergue El Puntido.  The heat was ñot too bad today and the breeze kept the fly population away.   I hate those little buggers, it seems as though you kill one of them all of his friends come to the funeral. 
I think you should get to the farmer's market on Saturday and see if you can find a pumpkin pie for the thanksgiving festivities.   And don't forget the whipped cream!  Or you can make Better Than Pumpkin Pie.  But you will still need whipped cream.
Speaking of homelike activities:  have you given any thought to calling that phone number on the fridge and getting us some housekeeping help?  Let's face it, neither of us like it or are any good at it for that matter.  If some one in once a week or once every two weeks we will be able to keep our heads above water.
I've had my shower and evening is getting a little cool.  Supper was Paella and a beer and I will be turning in shortly as there are no Gatos to pet. 
Love you lots, my Bear

All things considered
There are times when I really wish I were home with you. But over all Its a good experience : I am meeting lots of people from all over the place.  It really is the most challenging thing I have ever done.  Then there is water:  It is good water, but it just tastes flat;   I guess that is just the mineral content but it keeps me hydrated and that's the point.  Bottled water, which I avoid on principle, really isn't any better.
Then there are smells: of course the usual agriculture odor when walking by farms.  But I also remember the overpowering scent of mint when I got off the train at St.Jean and places along the way where the aroma of cumin makes it smell like a spice shop. 
Anyway the sun is up and I must be off.
Love you lots
Photos:
WOW, we have some great photos. I'll do my best to caption them. I may have to spread them out over several days. I'm not sure if Leslie is going to do an 'Album in the Cloud' or not.
Oct 4 - Burgos most iconic son El Cyd - Local Hero? or are there darker sides to this icon?
Oct 5 - Cathedral with  ornate additions - These elaborate cathedrals dot the length of the Camino.
Oct 5 - Seen enough of Cathedral Burgos yet? - Another view of the Burgos Cathedra.
Across the Meseta Days 1 & 2 - Leslie's proposed route for the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment