Wednesday 4 October 2017

Villafranca Montes de Oca - Encounter with El Gato

October 1, 2017

Villafranca Montes de Oca - Encounter with El Gato
Got my laundry done yesterday and visited the church of the miraculous chickens along with the museum.   I took the bus a short distance and here I am.

The next stop after this is a 12km distance  200m climb to st. Juan de Ortega where the monks historically served garlic soup to the pilgrims; a tradition that carries on.  Apparently, sharing quarters with a bunch of pilgrims who have also dined on garlic soup is a unique experience.  How far away the next albergue happens to be will be the deciding factor on whether I will share it. 

I ran into Mike from New Zealand today on the bus.  He was going all the way to Burgos. His motivation for this trip seems to be beer.  He wishes that he did a little more preparation for this trip than he did. 

I also reconnected with my American chums, we lost track outside of Logrono.   They say they missed me because I keep pointing out things the would otherwise miss, like the miraculous chickens.  And they try things that they would not otherwise try.  Today it was Sangria. They blanched a bit when I told them I had beef cheeks braised in red wine for supper last night. The meat was very tender and much the same texture as beef shank.  

I also ran into some people that I met a week ago.  One of them had been suffering from a blister and I was able to offer a compeed.   It worked wonderfully for her and expressed her thanks again.  It was nice the able to do some one a good turn.  

I still have my solar recharger. , but have not had any chance to use it.

No, I have not run into creepy crawlies.  The albergues are generally spotless; but that would not matter with "chinchoes" as they are hitchhikers.  They catch a ride on anything they can and have even infested places like public libraries and the Kennedy Center all since people stopped using DDT.

I miss you my Bear and I was able to get a little kitty fix from an obliging black kitty who was napping in a log.  He graciously allowed me to rub his belly and gifted me with a big purr.  I miss my favorite time of day: our bedtime cuddle. I miss solving the world's problems over breakfast.  Cafe con Leche just doesn't make up for that. 

About to head down for supper. 


2 comments:

  1. Comments are welcomed on the blog entries.
    We do the best we can to answer questions that arise about different aspects of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading of your big adventure. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete