Saturday 21 October 2017

Loping to Las Herreras

October 20, 2017
Loping to Las Herreras
It's a cool morning here in Villafranca de la Bierzo and misty.  The Italians are starting their day with their customary shot of grappa and then there are the rest of us.
Tummy is a little sore today.  I think it may have been the tuna melt I made last night:  all the tuna here seems to be packed in oil and I am used to water,  it may have been a bit disagreeable.
Just a random concern but I wonder just how we are going to run the Polar Dip and Light Up this year.  I guess I am not totally occupied by spiritual matters while striding along the Camino.
I splurged a bit last night and got my own room in a wonderful pension. I is a nifty place that used to be an old butter factory.  I was glorious, but I missed my Snuggy.
 
 
 

Meanwhile the next day in FonFria.   We are over the top: O Cebreiro is behind us and for the most part, the climbing is behind us.
FonFria is a happening place; home to about 40 people whose livelihood, other than servicing the Camino, is making cheese.  Say it with me folks "Blessed are the cheesemakers".  And the cheese is actually really good;  it is a fresh cow's milk cheese, from contented cows, served spread with local honey.  Yum!
A lot of small villages on the Camino are populated by less than 100 people.
I have take a couple of pictures of my pilgrim credential with all the sellos. (Stamps )  This is an import part of the Camino : one must collect these stamps along the way to prove that your little and by now somewhat smelly, pilgrim feet have actually crossed the threshold of the establishment and thereby actually have completed the Camino.   Now they are really picky about the last 100 km (200, if you cycle or ride a horse) in that distance it is advised to collect 2 sellos a day.  This is not difficult as not only do albergues have stamps, so do bars, museums, churches, little way stations and other local attractions. 
Enough for now,  smooches.
Photos:
Oct. 20 - definitely NOT the Meseta - this is the morning view coming out of Villafranca de la Bierzo.
Oct. 19 - Camino Pasport Page 1 - This is Leslie's vital document to prove that she has traveled the Way, and makes a great memento!
Oct. 19 - 199 kms to go - There are reminders of the Pilgrim's progress all along the Way
Oct. 19 - Leslie posing with the Appostil La Portella 2 - Our intrepid traveled does not look harried or any worse for wear here.
Day 34 FonFria - An up hill trek, all day - This is the last 'hump'. It is a steady drop of 1,000 meters over 138 kms to Santiago.
Today will be another partly cloudy day with light winds. The temperatures drop to 3to 5C before rising to 12 to 15C for the daytime high; nice walking weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment