Sunday 1 October 2017

The "j" is silent in Najera with a short stop in Ventosa


.


September 28, 2017
The "j" is silent in Najera with a short stop in Ventosa

11 am early lunch or late 2nd breakfast in the only place between Navarrete and Najera.  The grapes are being harvested and the day is warm and sunny.

  I am having "insalata mixta"  which includes tomato, corn, lettuce (sigh, iceberg ) as well as tuna and hard cooked egg.  For dressing they bring out oil and red wine vinegar. 

 I am treated to the sight of a fellow pilgrim doctoring her blisters;  one grows used to these sights.

Ok,  I  made it to my accommodations by 3pm on the nose.  I splurged a bit by staying in a hostal (more like a motel) rather than  an albergue tonight,  but I  have my own room, shower and fresh towels.  Luxury!

Walking without the backpack really made a difference in my speed so I don't think I am going to turn up my nose at anyone who chooses to use that service.  It certainly makes a days walking more pleasant.   Though there are some who think that using a service of this sort detracts from "The True Pilgrim Experience".

Regarding water: a lot depends on the heat of the day and difficulty of the trail.  Yes, water is heavy but it decreases pretty quickly.  Every town has at least one fountain where you can refill.  Now this is good once you get out of the pyrenees and the towns are close together.  Once on the Meseta, that will.be different.   I carry 2 - 750 ml bottles and where towns, cafes and fountains are close, I only fill one. 

I have seen lots of people with the hydration pouches and they are convenient because you don't always have to reach for your bottle on your pack.  However,  if you run dry; you have to take off your pack, take the pouch out, refill it, manoeuvre it back into your backpack.  YMMV, but the process is a tad complicated to me.

My Lions patch has gone by the by:  those sticky tapes  did not hold either it or my hem well.  Should have used the glue, live and learn.

Am trying to get more pictures to you.










No comments:

Post a Comment