Friday 20 October 2017

Traveling with Americans

October 18, 2017
Traveling with Americans
I suppose that it is time to introduce my traveling companions: John and Mark, both from Dallas, of Latino extraction  and they are in laws.   In other words, John's son is married to Mark's daughter and they have 3 mutual grandchildren together. 
At various times during this expedition I have come to wonder if it is my role here to broaden their horizons somewhat. Now I am not entirely sure that this is because they are men, Americans, city boys or a combination of all three. 
For example, one conversation ran thusly:  An albergue in which I was staying was getting their vegetables delivered from someone who actually grew them, and in reference to a veggie of heroic proportions the man was carrying in:
What is that?
Me looking up - a squash.
It can't be.  I've never seen a squash that big.
Me - you have never shopped outside of a supermarket, have you?
Well, no.
This precipitated a trip to the local market on market day where I introduced them to mammoth sized squash and zucchini; and tomatoes that were so dark that they were almost black.
It was a revelation to them both.  I have not yet gotten either of them to try Gazpacho soup.  The reason?  It's cold and soup is not supposed to be cold. Not even a spoonful would they try.
There are various other things such as the differences between Mexican tortillas and Spanish ones.  However it is the concept of siesta that I truly feel that they can't get their heads around.  Why would anyone knock off in the middle of the day for 2 or 3 hours when there is so much business to be done? Even after baking their respective brains out on the Meseta, the wisdom of taking a break during the hottest part of the day eluded them.  And all because the was money to be made hawking things to pilgrims.
It is also appropriate here to comment on one of the foibles I have found here in Spain:  as a country, Spain seems to have fallen in love with motion sensors.   Now I can understand this to a great part:  Spain is leading the way in renewable energy; wind turbines and solar panels abound therefore it does make sense that one should not waste energy when it is not necessary.  As I have followed my beloved partner in life from room to room turning off lights in empty bathrooms, overheads where they are not needed and so on , I  can see the wisdom.
Now that said there are times when the automatic turn off is just too quick.  For example,  there are times when in the smallest room in the house that the light turns off just too fast.  As I  am familiar enough with my own anatomy that over all it is not an issue.  Except for the times when the toilet paper is just out of reach.  I shall leave the rest to your imagination.
Will update you about tomorrow when I figure out where I will be.
Love you my Bear
Photos:
Oct. 17 - Black Cat Alley - On the way to the local market Leslie takes time to check out the local feline population, which is all black, in this case. If one black cat crossing your path is 'bad luck'; What happens when 4 black cats cross your path?
Oct. 17 - An enterprising soul catering to the Pilgrim traffic - It is interesting to note that some of these 'pit stops' are run by immigrants who cater to ethnic pilgrims who travel the Way.
Oct. 17 - In Homage to the grape. - Here is an interesting statue erected in honour of the noble grape. Wow, look at the size of that vine stock!
Day 32 Villafranka del Bierzo - This was an 18 km hike with the hillier terrain during the last third.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment